October 29, 2019, the Christian Formation Office led the celebration of the 115th founding anniversary of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres – Philippine Province in SPUP.
The SPC Sisters, founded by Fr. Louis Chauvet, parish priest of Levesville- la Chenard in France, in 1696, celebrated the 115 years of life and mission since their arrival on October 29, 1904, in the Philippines. Through the invitation of Bishop Frederick Rooker, seven Sisters sailed from Saigon and landed in Dumaguete, Negros Oriental. The Sisters came to the Philippines to preserve, strengthen, and nurture the Catholic Faith. The Sisters increased in number and the congregation’s charism and apostolate grew through the years as one foundation followed after the other.
The SPUP academic community gathered at the Our Lady of Chartres Chapel in thanksgiving for God’s love and fidelity and for the gift of the SPC Congregation in the Philippine Province. The celebration was made more meaningful by the special representation and participation of the first seven sisters and Fr. Louis Chauvet by some SPC Sisters and chosen students dressed in the old Sisters’ holy habit.
The Eucharistic celebration was presided by Rev. Fr. Adalbert Barut, Rector of the Ermita de San Jacinto and Rev. Fr. Severino Ma. T. Bariuan, Parochial Vicar of St. Peter’s Metropolitan Cathedral.